Thursday, February 10, 2011

Blue Toad Murder Agency Review (finished this time)

Last year, I bought the first three of the six episodes and wrote a review. Last week, the last three episodes were on sale on the PSN, so I picked them up and decided to revisit and complete the game.  Have my thoughts about it changed?

Yes....and no.  The game play is the same, but that's not surprising.  I will, admit, however, that the puzzles in episode 4 and 5 were much harder than what I faced in the first three.  Thankfully, the last episode was not as complicated.

But the funny thing about this type of puzzle game is that everyone will experience it differently.  The puzzles are the same, but each one's brain works a little differently, so what is easy for me is hard for others, and vice-versa.  When the wife played the first three episodes with me, it was really apparent how these puzzles affect people differently.  Sadly, she is pretty turned off on gaming, thanks to my overuse of WoW in my free time.  But I digress :-P

The game wraps up nicely, having solved the mystery behind the murder(s?).  It is a fun play through, especially if you have a friend who wants to play a casual game with you.  I just wish the puzzles changed.  It has a very low replayability, unless you are a completionist who chases after trophies.  But if like me, you pick up the game while it's on sale, and not pay full price, then you will get a solid 6 plus hours of Layton-style puzzles with a strong story to push you on.  It's worth the investment if you want to remember that fun games can be made on platforms other than Nintendo.  Oh, and also, this game is more about the story, than the game play, if that matters to you :)

1 comment:

  1. lol! I think good puzzles can equal good gameplay. I mean the genre of this game is too solve puzzles. If the puzzles are challenging and you your brain feels rewarded after playing than I think that equals good gameplay. But yeah these types of games need a good story to carry it through to the end.

    Yeah, I think DL-able games have come a long way since the start of this gen's consoles.

    ReplyDelete