Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Blue Toad Murder Files: Girl Friendly


The wife and I downloaded the first three episodes available on the PS3 last night in a bundle ($14.99). Damn the wireless adapter in the PS3 is slow. Anyway, this looked like a co-op adventure/puzzle game, so it was a must buy. The game will be releasing another batch of three files for sure somewhere in the near future, so I assume all six will run you about $30 when all is said and done (unless you're an idiot who buys the episodes one at a time for $7.49).

The game first asks you how many people are playing (up to four...sorry, no online MP that I could see). It then has a British narrator describe events happening in a town leading up to a scene where your character talks to a person. Someone gets murdered, and you (and your friends) take turns interviewing the suspects....sort of.

You don't really interact in the world because it's all narrated. With a lot of light-hearted, hilarious, mellow-dramatic voice acting. It's quite entertaining, and I actually laughed out loud a few times! I love the way the narrator says "MURRRRRDAAAARRRR" every time.



The actual game play is an alternating set of puzzles you must complete. For example, they asked me one time to add up the sales of jewels, but do it buy converting the dollars into pounds. No calculator needed, but a keen eye and logic is definitely on the bill. Another game asked me to recall a character I saw early on and build their face by choosing the correct eyes, nose, and mouth from the sets available.

I found the first episode very entertaining, and I look forward to the rest. Each episode is about an hour or more, so 3 hours of game play seems a bit high for the price, but I'm hoping there will be replay with different puzzles available? Not sure about that one yet.

1 comment:

  1. The price is a little iffy, if the game is that short. It does sound a little like Layton though and that game rocks.

    ReplyDelete