Thursday, March 4, 2010

HALO Reach Multiplayer Video (aka Tribes Returneth)


Like I've said before, I'm not going to buy a 360 for one game. But I do love me some Halo. Or at least I used to, before they became TRIBES. I LOVED Tribes. So maybe this is Bungie trying a formula that THEY KNOW DAMN WELL WORKED! I'm getting upset because I don't own a 360 and this is one games' multiplayer that I could totally get into! Compare this video with the TRIBES video, and you tell me what I'm missing.



Now here's a video representing my beloved college day LAN parties: TRIBES



I never realized just how similar these two franchises were. Or rather, how much HALO ripped off Tribes (or paid it homage?) now with the jet packs. I mean, look at minute four in that Tribes video, or seconds before it. You'll see the dude shoot down a ...Banshee? Anyway, some of you might not have played the original Tribes, so I thought it would be good to share some of the highlights. This montage was the best I could find, but nothing can replace that sense of speed and map scale like actually playing it. It makes games like MW2 feel very restricted and slow. For that matter, it makes ALL multiplayer shooters feel restricted and slow. For Tribes, it wasn't just about twitch reflexes, it was about knowing how to lead your opponent with a shot based on your trajectory, speed, and distance vs. theirs. Epic.

BTW, like all computer based FPS multiplayer games, it went downhill fast by the modders. Pissed me off when they started modding to 'opponent seeking rockets', so they didn't need to aim. They just camped in the back of the map and shot in the air. F&*@ modders.

1 comment:

  1. When I saw the jet pack in the new video, I automatically started recalling my Tribes' days. That game was crazy fun as a lan game. I agree with you that the freedom in the game was pretty epic.

    Why are there jet packs in the past but not in the present??!? Someone had to ask it!!!

    I might get a 360 for this game alone. Man I wish Bungie continued to port Halo games to PC. Mother F@#&ers!

    ReplyDelete