Tuesday, March 23, 2010

With My One Eye I Cry!

Recently, the next step in video games seems to be 3D projection. Lot's of companies like Sony and Nintendo are taking a look at the 3D video games market. What does this mean for gamers like me?
When I was younger due to cancer I lost my left eye. I won't go into further details than that. In fact I've never considered it much of a handicap. I can do everything someone with two eyes can but I can't watch movies in 3D. This actually wasn't much of a big deal until Avatar came out. Avatar proved that an entire movie can be shot in 3D and the audience can enjoy the experience.

It seems thanks to Avatar a lot of companies are pushing for digital media to use 3D technology. I'm actually rather intrigued by it. However, unfortunately for me and other gamers like me. I may never be able to appreciate the generation in gaming.

So the question I'm asking, is 3D a gimmick or the next stage in gaming?

2 comments:

  1. Anytime a hardware developer puts that much time and money behind marketing something, especially perceived successful developers (Nintendo, Sony), there will be some success. If they are smart, I recommend they start with focusing on rated T or below games. The hardcore market is ready to reject right now, but the casual gamer has proven to be the majority nowadays, so focus on them. They'll make sales, and my god, if they put Mario in 3d? It will definitely stick.

    That said, I'm pretty meh about it. I won't pay an extra 100 dollars for glasses, and a new monitor because I don't have one that is 120hz, so I won't be in until this one dies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about 3D technology that utilises two screens to create the 3D effect? e.g. one screen on top of the other? This technology is quite old but wasn't really looked into because in order to get the 3D effect without glasses, the viewer would have to be directly in front of the screen. Not exactly ideal for cinemas. However further development of the tech has produced dual-layered 3D screens that allow up to 16 viewable positions. Also Nintendo have recently announced the 3DS which supposedly is going to have a 3D effect without the need for glasses. I have a feeling they may very well be utilising this dual-layer screen techonology to produce the 3D effect. Not sure if you need 2 eyes to see the 3D effect though.

    As for the whole 3D rage going on right now, I'm happy to see 3D being utilised more. I was completely blown away by Avatar, storyline aside and previous games that have used the 3D effect such as WoW and Team Fortress 2, genuinely made the gaming experience more "fun" for me. I'm looking forward to seeing how its recieved and if it ever gets mainstreamed. But with pretty much all hardware, software developers pushing the tech, it might be safe to say that 3D is here to stay... at least for now. I'm more interested though in the "new" 3D content. Games, movies made to be played/viewed in 3D and not edits of old content made into 3D. Such examples is Star Wars and The Matrix trilogies being considered to be made into 3D. :S

    ReplyDelete