Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Deathspank review

Deathspank is a game I purchased back while I was still playing WoW, and considering quitting.  It looked appealing because it promised a fantasy world that had great story/humor, leveling up system, and loot acquisition.  I thought it would help meet the same ego filling needs that WoW was meeting, thus assisting in quitting WoW.  The Problem?  I still had subscription dollars going to Blizzard, so why play this when I'm paying for that?



Therefore, this game was put on the back burner.  Now that I've officially kicked the WoW habit (and those who have played seriously know how hard that is), I decided to finish off games that were on said back burner (as you can tell from my previous reviews).

Deathspank is great!  It started a little slow, which was tough for me to get into.  I probably started the game, played for 15-30 minutes, then put it down, only to return later and pick up where I left off.  However, once I got through the first couple of hours of gameplay, and started to understand how to use the menu's, combo my weapon hits, manage my inventory, etc, I found the gameplay very fun.  I felt like I was playing a Nintendo game, and that's a good thing.  Think Zelda.  Early Zelda's, that is.  The elements are all there, and the gameplay was really that satisfying.  Other then not having to solve dungeon puzzles, I felt like I was playing Ocarina of Time in some weird way. 

The fantasy world graphics are great.  You really feel like you're controlling and playing a comic-book hero because of the fantastic use of artwork.  The humor may not be for all, because there are a lot of inside "gamer" jokes, but there are plenty of other humor elements to appreciate.  If you like seeing the trophy window pop up, then there are those as well.

The game offered probably about 15-25 hours of gameplay.  I believe it still retails for around 15 USD.  You can also get this game on the PC and I believe the 360.  I highly recommend this game at that price point.  The only knock I can give is that the fighting mechanic is quite repetitive, but again, think like early Zelda; You have swords to swing, shields to block with, and movement to work with.  For what this game aspires to be, I give it a 5 out of 5, and highly recommend it on whatever platform you want to play it on.

I will be getting the new episode sometime in the future :)

2 comments:

  1. What do you think about the co-op elements? I think you can have a couch buddy play as the main character's magician apprentice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can have a buddy log on and play as a the magician's apprentice. Sadly, I was unable to test this feature, but I bet it would have been cool. The game really was a lot of fun once I got into it after the first couple of hours of play.

    ReplyDelete