Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Say it isn't so

Monday, March 7, 2011, was a very sad day for me. Ladies and Gentlemen. After almost 5 long years of great service, my day one 60GB Playstation 3 has played its last game. I have seen the ylod (yellow light of death) and its not pretty. I was horrified. All we wanted to do was watch a little “X-Files” on Netflix and it happened. Girlfriend ask, “Why is it not on?” and inconsiderately change the input to the DVR before I even got a second chance to try to turn it on again. I was in denial that this was happening to me. I mean, I knew one day that this “Day” would come, but I was hoping it never would.

So here I am today, 2 days later, trying to troubleshoot the problem. I don’t want to replace it with a new model because I like how the old launch models could play PSX&2 games. There’s a fix for it but you got to take the whole thing a part and you need a decent heat gun to reseed the main chips($80) but this may not fix the problem. I could get Sony to fix it which I hear is about $150, half of a new system. A friend of mine said it cost him $75 to fix his 360 from Microsoft. $150 seem like a lot at the moment to just fix a 5 year old system. Crap my killzone 3 disc is in there and I can’t get it out.

3 comments:

  1. I'm hyperventilating at this post! My system is also a year one, backward compatible system. I've already decided that if it dies, I will probably not replace it, and just be a dedicated pc gamer from now on. I've been very nervous that the day will be coming soon, especially since I'm in the middle of AC2 right now. I won't even upgrade the hdd because I feel like my day is coming on it where it says "no mas". Damn, that slap of reality sucks a big one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY COW that sucks dude. I would just go ahead and pay $150 to have it repaired. Yeah, it sucks at first but you get to keep your backwards compatibility. Which in all reality you probably never use.

    Why can't companies make quality products anymore? Is it because most everything is manufactured in China now???

    That sucks about KZ3 too. Johnny and I finally started to play it yesterday on my PS3. Gameplay a lot of fun. Story is well meh. Enjoying it so far though. Will write up something when I finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear of your lost! I remember when my PS3 suddenly stopped playing PS3 games (or any optical media), and it happened three weeks before MGS4 was released. I got it back in time, but man, it was torture to wait!

    ReplyDelete