Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Love Letter to Uncharted 2 (Review)

Dear Uncharted 2,

This is kind of embarrassing for me to say, but ever since I saw screen-shots of Uncharted, I knew it was time to buy a PS3. The gorgeous graphics, the Indiana Jones like exploration, and the cover-fire gameplay, probably made me feel that love at first sight feeling I had. When I pictured next gen games, Uncharted was the type of game that I imagined. I was instantly hooked and I couldn't stop playing you until the end. My only complaint was, "Damn, you're already finished?" Two years later and Uncharted 2 comes out.

Why I love you. Uncharted 2 is freaking awesome. Everything that I liked about the first was made 10x better in the second one. Graphics were amazing in the first, right? Everything in the jungle was so green and vibrant. I like how they took Drake out of the Jungle setting and placed him in several different environments. There was more than one occasion that my jaw dropped while looking at the games landscapes. IMO, I don't think that there's another game that can challenge the visuals of Unchated 2 except for Crysis.
        The story from Uncharted isn't anything outstanding but the way it's delivered is truly amazing. I haven't played a game in a long time where I felt like, man I wish I don't have to go to sleep. Also, it's one of those rare games that a friend, ahem or girlfriend, wouldn't mind sitting down and watching you play through it. Some critics cited it as being the cinematic experience of 2009. One of the main reasons why this story was well delivered is because of the voice work. Not only in the cinematics but through out the game it felt as if there was good chemistry between the actoes. Just to show the level of one of the voice actors, Nolan North, the voice of Drake, is starting to pop up in more and more games. ( I think this is one topic I would love to jump on later.) Drake, I believe, is becoming one video games most liked characters.
        I've heard many people complain that Uncharted's shooting sections are too rinse and repeat. I completely disagree with that statement. There are times you have to be stealthy, not MGS stealthy, but more stealthy than Gears of War. Then there are times where you're hearts racing because you're being chased through a city by a helicopter. There are a lot of shooting sections but from what I understand this is a 3rd person action shooter. Naughty Dog has really cleaned up the small glitches from the first game. The biggest one being the gerenade tossing. In Uncharted, I rarely threw a gerenade because they never ended up where I wanted them to land. Uncharted 2 let's just say that gerenades were flying when I was up against a mob. The other thing they improved on is the hand to hand combat. It feels like the hand to hand sequences flow a little better than before.
          Thank you for a complete package. Sweet single player mixed with a fun multiplayer experience. The PS3 really needed a game like Uncharted 2 to pick up the slack in their online area. I hope more of my friends pick this game up because I really want to play the coop maps online. Playing online games are a lot of fun. Team based matches it's really hard to go off and play as the lone gunner. There's a level up system really similar to Modern Warfare.

What is there to hate? Ummm... Did you read the title to this article? It says love letter. This is hands down my pick for 2009.

2 comments:

  1. Uncharted and I have a similar affair. I played the demo of the first game when it came out a few years ago. The demo was visually appealing, so I kept the demo for two years. I would boot it up and play through that demo sequence over and over throughout the two years. But for some reason or another, I never marched down to the store to plop down the 60 bucks they wanted.

    Then, for Christmas this year, my wife bought it for me (Thank you Greatest Hits pricing!) You see, unless I know for sure I am going to LOVE a game, I will not pay retail for it. Every time I do, I end up with buyer's remorse. My most recent example was King's Bounty, but I'll discuss that in another post.

    My parents came up for a few days at Christmas, and I thought with the help for my new son, I could get some quality gaming in. I plopped it in, and beat it in three days (It's not that long of a game, but let's face it, I can't exactly game for 8 hours straight no matter what.) What was so interesting to me was that my entire family was sitting around the living room watching me play. My parents had to leave before I beat it, but when we spoke a few days later, the first thing they wanted to know was how it ended! When has gaming EVER done that before? I argue never. Not like this.

    So now Uncharted 2 has come out, and is near the top of everyone's gaming list, not just of 2009, but of this generation. So do I own it? No. I know that I will love it, as does Gaicha. For the same reasons. And I am SOOOOO glad the PS3 has finally started coming on strong. I was an early adopter, like I was for the Sega Dreamcast, and we all see how that worked out. But this is the kind of exclusive that will sell consoles, and that is awesome.

    So why the hesitation to buy? Because I am cheap. Because I am waiting for my wife to finsih the first one. Because I have too many games to finish as it is. And because I know this game will be a greatest hit by this time next year, and my cheap ass will probably wait until then.

    ...Or maybe not... :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think it's amazing that they made two games where an audience of viewers can enjoy watching a game. This is a console seller.

    Even if it's next year make sure you drop me a line and let me know that you bought this game. I really want to play the coop maps with some friends.

    ReplyDelete