Thursday, February 18, 2010

Blast From the Past! (Half-life 2)

Blast From the Past, (BFTP), Half-life 2. I'm really late in joining the millions of fans that have already beaten Half-life 2 and to be honest I'm still not completely finish. They say that a picture is worth a thousand words, and I think the picture to the right says everything I pretty much want to say about this game. 
 While visually Half-life 2 is starting to show it's age, this game still maintains a lot of it's charm. Tell me if I'm wrong, but other than the first Bioshock, there isn't another FPS, first person shooter, that delivers a story quiet like Half-life 2. It's really rare for me to find a FPS that makes me want to find out more about the story. As you know I am not a Halo hater but a lot of the floods enemy types look very similar to Half-life's aliens. I'm not really bashing the cheif with the above picture or comment but rather I want to show how much better of gaming experience Half-life 2 is even compared to Halo 3.

Playing with gravity is still a lot of fun. At the beginning of the game when you get off the train. I still think it's funny to grab a can and throw it at the nearby guards. When I finally got the gravity gun, I think I played catch with dog for at least 20 minutes. On top of that Valve, found ways to throw in puzzles into the mix so it's not just your everyday FPS. This variety makes in gameplay makes the game so much fun.

I highly recommend replaying this game if your game library runs a little thin. 

(BTW: I have an extra copy of HL2 and HL2 Episode 1, if anyone doesn't already own a copy of either.)

(This picture was taken from http://defaultprime.com/2009/03/...er-halo/ )

2 comments:

  1. I don't own either :( I played through Half-Life when I was in college, and I remember being very disappointed because my hardware wasn't good enough to run it on the highest settings. My friends was and I couldn't believe how good it looked! HL2 came out (or at least became popular) while in college, but about the time I left to go in the Marines. Needless to say, my gaming pretty much went by the way side the next four years. So I missed out, and by the time I got back into gaming, everything had evolved (game design, mechanics, graphics, etc) so I haven't looked back.

    As someone who self-admits that graphics are kind of a big deal to me, and someone who did not really enjoy Bioshock, would this be something I should still check out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't really look as good as Gear of War but it definitely still looks better than any Xbox game. The graphics are aged but they still hold mainly due to the fact you can run the game in a high resolution. That said they're still segments in the game that made me jump. Those headcrabs are scary.

    I'm more than happy to give you these games.

    ReplyDelete