Thursday, February 18, 2010

Real Treasure

I'm a avid fan of the Angry Video Game Nerd. His latest review as of writing, Sworquest, was such an awesome concept. A game series where you can win REAL prizes. Not just money, but a real, one of a kind treasure! Real swords. The trophies and achievements you get with games today are fine, but man, getting a real gold encrusted sword with a silver blade is beyond words.



With the internet, it might be harder to pull off something like that off. You would have people online getting together and posting answers left and right, killing the joy of solving the mystery on your own. But having a game with such perplexing puzzles that they'll give you such a huge payout makes me yearn for something more. I mentioned in other posts that I'm a fan of adventure games, and something like this would of excited me if I was around for it.

How about it gamers? Wouldn't it be awesome if companies did some viral advertising with one of a kind, specially made treasures for the truly dedicated gamer? The concept just seems too awesome.

Here's the video. It's jut epic:

7 comments:

  1. Conceptually, it doesn't seem to be to hard to make the business end work. I mean, strategic product placement during the adventure and "wallah", you have revenue to use for prizes! I mean, I was actually pretty bummed I missed out on Xi on PS Home . At least I think I did. I looked at Home during the beta, and ugh, awful, but that's another story. So it wasn't until after it was out that I read about it, and by then I bet the mystery was no longer mysterious. However, on a tangent, if you all haven't done it, I think it would be worth it for us to plan a time to meet on PS3 Home and see if we can still do it. If not, we can always go jump back on the PS3 and shoot stuff...

    Back on topic. Yes. I like the idea. Very Much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah this adventure was cleverly well thought out. I don't really care about the prize but I think it would be cool to have game where you have to use two mediums to solve a puzzle.

    Anyone remember in Metal Gear Solid you had to look at the back of the game box to find Meryl's codec number. I don't know why but I thought that was so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. I really enjoyed that in MGS as well. I heard some other games, like Star Tropics for the NES came with a map you had to dip in water to solve one of the games puzzles. That would be awesome if they released something like that today. When you mix something from the real world into the game, it feels more involved. I would love to see developers try to implement some kind of system in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would help fight piracy, but how would you offer DLC versions of the game if you need physical content?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you mention DLC, that reminds me that it would only work for a single player campaign that includes everything from the start, and not shipping an incomplete game. Then again, I'm one of those people who are against DLC so I'll never pay to have my game expanded more. I like buying games off PSN and Steam, but not additional content. But I digress...

    I think a game where you need the physical copy, and need other physical items in real life, would only work for the Wii. The system already makes you imitate movements in real life, so I could see putting clues in the game's instruction booklet or something really great. And you wouldn't have to worry about DLC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, good point. I'm not against DLC, but I guess I was trying to also consider PSN and Steam downloads. What do you call those? Digital Media? I don't know. But don't overlook the sixaxis for the PS3. Most developers completely overlook it, but I gotta say it is a completely overlooked, amazing piece of hardware. I'm actually quite disappointed that Sony didn't push it better. But talk about digress... :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think digital download is the word you're thinking to use.

    ReplyDelete