Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Borderlands: PC version update (and PC specs)

Just a quick post to say I got it, so co-op is now possible. Also let me say that the Unreal engine is incredible on the PC. I didn't think it would look better on my PC than the PS3, but damn, it looks AWESOME! I guess it uses the graphics card heavily, which is not where the PS3 shines. Games built exclusively for PS3 look incredible because they've learned how to write the code to utilize the cell processor. As games on PC start writing their code to multi-thread, I can't wait to see what graphics are pushed out (because the CPU will be able to take over all non-graphic specific functions like physics, background rendering, etc). Also, I'm not on an SLI machine. I built this one back in November on a tight budget and used some existing parts I had, so my PC specs are:

CPU: Quad-Core Intel 8200 (2.3 ghz stock, overclocked to 3 ghz)
Video: Nvidia GTS 250 (Software overclock a bit for a 15% boost)
Case: Cooler Master (How I get away with keeping temps low)
MB: Gigabyte (Don't remember exact model, but great for tweaking overclocks)
HDD: 7200 RPM Samsung, 500 gb. Next will be a SSD for the Operating System only.

Only thing I need to get now is a mic so I can chat in our games! I'll try to get one before this weekend.

How about y'all? What kind of rig are you playing on?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, by the way, my Skype id is...Landoram...surprise surprise :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a quad-core setup and your surprised it looks better? If I had that kind of setup, I'd expect PS4 graphics. ;)Ah...wish I had the funds to build a new PC. Sounds like a sweet setup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I ended up spending about 600 for parts, but to be fair, I didn't have to buy the CPU or the hard drive. Oh, and I did spend 100 for Windows 7 64-bit. So 700 I guess. It is definitely a great rig, but I will be building an SLI machine next time. Believe it or not, I still get frame rate issues and some screen tearing on ceratin parts of games. Like the Crysis Benchmark, I only avg about 28 FPS on Ultra, so if I were to get it and play it, I would have to play on High and probably 1280x720 resolution. But I am maxed out on Borderlands @1920x1080 and 16x anti-aliasing, and see very little issues. Occasionally I get some screen tearing, but it's so minimal I don't worry about it. It is blowing away how it looked on my PS3. I can't believe how different it is. I'm also finding it MUCH easier to play with a mouse rather the analog stick. My headshots are not quite as good, but Ithink the PS3 was more forgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen Borderlands on PS3 but I agree it looks awesome one PC!

    I have a Japanese Laptop called Galleria.

    CPU: Intel i5 520M (2.4GHZ/Turbomode 2.93)
    RAM: 4 GB
    GPU: Geforce GT 335 1 GB RAM
    HD: 500 GB
    Monitor: Max rex is 1366x768 but if I hook it up to my HDTV via HDMI I can get a full 1080p resolution.

    I would love to build a nice rig from the ground up one day, but I travel too much to lug around a ginormous rig.
    I play Borderlands on the highest settings with no problem. Normally play on my laptop screen to save electricity and becuase it's more comfortable to sit in my computer chair then on my floor. I too can only play in 1280x720 on high. Anything above that makes the frame rates drop.
    I knew I was sacraficing power for portablity so I'm not to upset. Crysis is a graphical acheivement but not a gaming one. So, I'm not too upset.

    By the way I love Windows 7 64 bit. I can't wait for my programs and games to take advantage of the 64 bit encryption.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kinto and I hooked up for a little Co-op Borderlands yesterday. WHAT HAVE I BEEN MISSING! It was sweet :)

    ReplyDelete