Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Braid, the greatest game I haven't completed

Braid



I bought Braid a year ago on the PSN. I've cleared the first three levels, and I'm missing two pieces of the puzzle before I can "complete" the game. I know I could beat it easily if I looked on youtube for the answer to the puzzles I've been stuck on for so long, but that would ruin the whole experience. Braid is the most unique puzzle/platform (really the only one) game made.


In the game, your asked to collect pieces of puzzles that are easy to get. Then you have to take advantage of speeding up time, using a clone of yourself, and slowing down time with special rules in each stage. When you finally figure out a piece of the puzzle, it really feels like you've accomplished something.

Another thing I love about the game is the plot. It is very vague and open to interpretation. It's the traditional "The Princess is in another castle" setup, but it asks what is this "princess"? Does she even exist? Before each level are optional "books" to read about the plot, and the plot is open to your own interpretation.

Since I can't use my PS3 at the moment, I took advantage of the Christmas Steam sale to purchase it again. Once I get a game pad, I'm going to go through the game again. Since I know the answers to all but two pieces of the puzzle, it won't take long. But those last two pieces, I'll find a way to answer them on my own. I want to know how this game ends.

Highly recommend this game to both puzzle and platformming fans.

3 comments:

  1. This is another one of those I want to complete games. Damn my list keeps getting bigger and bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played the demo on PC last year, and it seemed really cool, but I didn't want to play a platformer on my keyboard. So when some money frees up, I'll have to check it out on my PS3.

    BTW, what's wrong with your PS3?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely play all the way through on this one. Jonathan Blow and company explored the hell out of the time shifting mechanic. The puzzles are challenging enough that you feel quite satisfied when you finally get past them.

    ReplyDelete