Friday, January 21, 2011

Netflix on PS3/Wii/iPhone


Recently, Netflix started offering a free 30-day trial for their online version, meaning no discs. I've been doing a lot of research on how to cut the cable cord, and this is definitely something that needed to be researched to see if it could be part of the media solution if I do cut the cord. So how's it fairing?

I was very skeptical at the onset of this trial. The PS3 has one of the slowest wireless connections I've seen in recent years. Anyone that has tried to download anything from the PSN knows what I'm talking about. Granted, wireless will always be slower than hard wired, but due to the placement of my router for security system purposes, that option isn't on the table. I have issues moving files from my PC to my PS3, so how could Netflix work?

Let me explain the issues I've had with PC to PS3 connections. For example, I record HD programs on my computer. It's hard wired into my router, and connected to my HDTV upstairs. When I want to watch those programs downstairs in that HDTV, I have to get it there. Stream, right? Well, I've installed multiple media servers, and the results were the same. The PS3 just could not download the stream fast enough to keep the feed smooth. It constantly freezes to catch up. So then I decided to copy the version locally. Windows Media Server transcodes HDTV like crap. From what I've researched, it decides to scale down the feed to the lowest common denominator, so I was never happy with the quality. I won't get into all that I tried, and I found multiple that fit the bill, but ultimately I use PS3 Media Server (freeware), as it works perfectly. You can adjust the settings yourself, and I have 0 fidelity loss. Again, the problem is you have to plan ahead and copy down the version well in advance of when you want to watch it because the connection of the PS3 wireless is slow.

So how could Netflix possibly deliver HD programming via PS3's wireless connection? The answer, of course, is compression. What I have found interesting, however, is that even though the HD programs are highly compressed, their tech is fantastic to keep the streams seamless, and the fidelity as high as possible. Color me impressed. I streamed via the website on my PC, and I actually think the PS3 fidelity is higher than the PC stream. They both look great, but I can see the pixelation on my PC to HDTV connection, and I don't see the pixelation on the PS3 version. Outstanding!


The menu navigation is easy on the PS3. The categories make sense, and it's easy to find programming. That said, there is an option I think they should add, which is sort in alphabetical order. Once you go down the menu tree branches, you tend to have to search through lots of titles to see if they have what something. Of course, you can search from the main menu if you know what title you want, but if your browsing, it can be kind of confusing (think PSN).

The Wii is now moved and hooked up to my sons room via the Component cable. He has a little 20 something inch tv we turn on Sprout or Disney channel once in a while for him. With Netflix, I can stream kid movies and shows, and they call come through DVD quality (480p). Rock solid. What's interesting is that if you pick a program that you know from the PS3 version is in HD, you won't see it listed as HD on the Wii because, of course, the Wii isn't HD, but the quality of the "HD" shows through the Wii at DVD quality still look amazing and dare I say, HD-ish. They are clearly a higher resolution that has been scaled down, and look fantastic. It's like how great HD content looks on the the iPhone/iPod Touch; Even though the resolution is lower, the screen is smaller (like my son's tv) and the picture looks every bit of HD as the larger counterparts. I'm sure that if I plugged the Wii version back into one of my 50" HDTV's, the picture might not look as good. But it is rocking out that 23"!

The Wii's menu navigation is actually better, imo, than the PS3. It is laid out a bit different, and there is something to that movement of a controller that feels better than the directional pad navigation (which you could use too, I suppose). Again, same stuff, but I like the menu nav better.

Lastly, the iPhone/iPod Touch. I have an iPod Touch (gen 4) that I got for Christmas, and I have been all over it. I was curious to watch Netflix on it, because at times when I'm watching my son, he's running all over the place, and this gives me an opportunity to "watch on the go"! The quality, again, is fantastic. I mean, stunning, really. And I really don't mind looking at that small screen. I guess if you hold it close enough it's like watching a 50", lol. It's all about perception. The menu navigation is similar to other iPhone apps, and is probably the most difficult to navigate of the 4 (not reviewing PC, because PC users will have no issue with a mouse and keyboard). They need to work a bit on this navigation, but I love the innovation. I haven't had a chance to test it on the Mrs.' iPhone 3g, to see how it fairs with some older tech and over AT&T's network as opposed to wi-fi, but the wi-fi is nice and seamless.
Now, for the selection. Meh. It's ok, but it's not great. Their great selection still requires the 2 extra dollars a month to access their dvd/blu-ray collection. The online stuff is good, and I've been surprised at some of the stuff that is there, but don't be looking for any tv or movies that are really recent. I use Hulu (not Hulu Plus...that is on my radar though) on my PC and the movie selection there is about the same, and the TV shows are more recent usually.
My trial isn't up yet. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it for $8 a month or not yet. But I'm leaning towards keeping it. If you haven't tried it, you should go for it (sorry, non-America dwellers). If you have tried it ( Kinto...I see on the PS3 in Netflix), chime in with your review/thoughts. On a 5 point scale, I give it a 4.

2 comments:

  1. Its awesome! Only big down side is the selection. Its mostly old stuff,but its stuff like “Futurama” and “South Park.” The movie selection is where its really hurting. Just nothing there except for the $4.99 movies you can get from Wally World that no one cares for. I think sometimes they’ll queue some new movies that didn’t do to well, mostly chick flicks. If you got a lot of old TV show you just didn’t watch, I totally recommend getting the online service. No downloading, no multiple disc, great quality (esp on the PS3). Girlfriend loves it, does nothing but watch "Monk." Hardly ever watches cable now.

    As far which version, I would say the PS3 has the better version, esp if you have a keyboard+PS3. It just look so nice on the TV. My only grip with WMC is I don’t have a working remote for it, so getting through the menu is a pain with a mouse. All versions don’t have what I would call a good UI but the WMC and PS3 are ok with flaws. There both slow but more so on WMC and searching on the PS3 is just fart in the face awful(looking at you splunkd!) without a keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I was home I messed around with Netflix on the PS3. I liked how I could watch all these TV shows by streaming vs constanly putting in and taking out a dvd. The movie selection is bit meh. The only movie I ended up watching on it was Astro Boy and that's been playing on starz movie channel for a while. Basically, this feature is just a better on demand service than your cable company is willing to give to premium costumers.

    One day they'll have to make it at least 720p ready.

    ReplyDelete