Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Last Story



Wii's newest JRPG (Japan only for the time being) is hitting shelves on the 27th. This trailer shows cinematic cut-scenes, which is no surprise. It was made by the original creator of the FF series, and definitely has that FF vibe. I can't help but look at it and wish that the game was going to be on an HD platform, but an interesting to way to watch this one is to see how it rates up against how FFXIII was rated. Both have/had extraordinary high expectations, and FFXIII seemed to fall a bit short. Will this game suffer the same fate?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah this game has been on my radar. Sometimes I wish I had a Japanese Wii. I like how they are trying to go for a unique RPG experience but like most JRPGs recently it's going to fall short on story. We'll see though. If I have time and money I wouldn't mind buying a used Wii and a copy of this game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been so disappointed with JRPG's lately. I am still going to play FFXIII someday, but it might not be until it becomes a red-box greatest hit. I've outgrown the mellodrama. As you've stated in an earlier post (a year ago), Japan is notorious for finding a winning formula, and then NEVER ADAPTING beyond it, long after it is no longer a winner. I'd say that Japan is one of the most efficient business nations out there, but innovation is not their strong-suit. On the flip side, could you imagine a company like Blizzard making games in Japan? At least their games would be timely, and Rockstar wouldn't have so many bugs.

    But then to counter those arguments, look at Pixeljunk. Very innovative. Square-Enix? No bugs? Ha ha ha...FFXIV anyone? What a disaster. So screw the cultural aspect of this!

    ReplyDelete