Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Nintendo 3DS Impressions By a One-eyed Man

This month around the time I came back to Japan after visiting home, by some lucky chance Nintendo was holding their public exhibit for the Nintendo 3DS. Now this is an impression from a person that can't take advantage of the 3D abilities of the 3DS.

 Don't get me wrong. I know this article is one month behind and in a little less than a month the 3DS will be on sale in the land of the rising sun.

The first game I ran for when the show floor opened up, was the Ocarina of Time remake for the system. I could choose from three portions from the game: village, dungeon, and dungeon boss. I choose the dungeon because you can fight and explore in a dungeon. I thought that this would give me a general idea about the gameplay. The graphics have been reworked to take advantage of the 3DS. The game looks really good but feels very familiar. Some things they have added are the ability to use the 3DS' built in gyros to aim the sling shot and bow and arrow. Not something I would use often with in the game but it's a quirky little add on. The game still played like the original and the dungeon was not much different. The Zelda fan boy in me will probably still pick this game up even though it will show no major changes in story or gameplay.

The little slide pad on the 3DS feels rather good but reaching for the digital pad while playing games can feel a little awkward. It's not too awkward though. It's very possible to hit the D-pad while playing a game.. The other buttons  feel as good as they did on the DS. Slightly bigger and the L and R buttons feel better than the DS' for some reason. The included 3D camera will probably be a lot of fun for people with two eyes. The cooler part about the camera is being able to use it to make a Mii. But most of the Japanese people they took pictures of to make Mii's ended up looking more like westerners.

My favorite part of the whole 3DS exhibit were the AR, augmented reality, games. Basically the way it works is you face the 3DS' camera at an AR card, which has a picture of the coin block from Mario games, and then the 3DS makes images appear on the screen. In the demo there were these targets that you shot on your screen. With each stage there was more targets. The cool thing was the stages morphed around the area of the card. Sometimes you would have to shoot a jumping target which made the table warp and balloon up. One round a tree popped out of the table and you had to move around the card to find targets. *Spoiler alert* One target was actually hiding in a hole that the 3DS made with the AR card. It was really impressive. Last round you had to fight a dragon that pops out of the card. You have to shoot each part of the dragon until it turns black. When the dragon attacks, you physically move to avoid it's attack. Be careful not to lose sight of the card with the 3DS though, it momentarily interrupts the game. An awesome demo. By far the thing I look forward to the most with the 3DS. There are other AR games coming out for it and I hope some DLC stuff will be available down the road.

Sad thing is they announced the release date but not what games will come out with it on day one. I personally am going to wait until they release a system seller before I pick a 3DS up.

4 comments:

  1. At one point in time, I was a big fan of handhelds. Then I outgrew my GBA, had my PSP stolen on a vacation in Mexico (or drunkenly left it at the pool...possible as well lol), and my need for portable gaming pretty much died. I now have an iPod touch, and I have some games on it, but I haven't gotten deep enough in any of them to review. Maybe when I travel and have time to play, I'll do that, but I digress. Anyway, there's nothing in the 3ds that compels me to buy it. Even if I was into handhelds, I just can't see the benefit of a $250 DS with a 3d 2 inch screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commute to work by train so having a portable gaming device is a must for those dull repetative trips. I get on fine with my iPhone and apps like Cut the Rope and Angry birds keep me thusly satisfied. But my iPhone is the old 3G 8gb and newer apps that require the higher perfomance iPhones such as the 3GS and iPhone 4 simply don't run well if at all on my current iPhone. So I am in anticipation for the next generation of hand helds. I think it's safe to say that these are the iPhone 4"G" (we all know it's being developed somewhere), the Sony PSPhone, Sony PSP 2 and the Nintendo 3DS.

    I'm slowly loving my PlayStation 3 more and more and living in Japan and teaching at a High School. I can't go through a single day with out seeing a PSP being played. For a while I was very tempted to purchase a PSP just so I can see what games my students were playing together.
    I want the 3DS and $250 is affordable but not announcing what games will be avaliable on release day has made me lose some faith in the 3DS release. That and after seeing the trend of the GBA going through its various model refits and the same thing with the DS. I'm almost tempted to wait for the model refit for the 3DS before I spend my money.

    Sony is having a press announcement today. Rumors are flying around that it will be the PSP 2 but to be honest. I think Sony will save that for this years e3 and announce the Sony PSPhone.

    I also want to see what the Sony PSP 2 will be spec wise before I make my decision. The 3DS does seem to be quite powerful, but unofficially the PSP 2 is supposedly going to be near PS3 performance. Until I know for sure, my money is staying in my wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Johnny here. Having a good portable system for long commutes or rides is great (In Japan lol). If Nintendo can work out their internet multiplayer system, then I'm definitely in for having a good portable system.

    I also agree that Nintendo will probably make a better 3DS down the line. I.e. 3DS touch screen.

    PSP2 might be even better than we think. I might wait for Zelda or an awesome AR game before I buy this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read Kotaku's reports on the PSP2, and wow, that thing is sweet! I mean, for once it seems like they got it all right! Except for the size. Light or not, that comparison shot of it next to other portable devices is telling. Now, me personally, if I were looking for a "portable" gaming device for plane/train/car trips, then I would want something like this. Bigger, higher-res, easy to hold and game with two hands; This is truly a gaming machine first, and everything else second. That said, I'm not sure how practical it's going to be for kids (or adults) to walk around with this thing. It looks more like something that needs a bag with you to carry it, not just shove it in your pocket. Time will tell if that's a good choice.

    But since I know someone will write more about the PSP2, I'll stop and go back to the 3DS. IMO, if this thing has you curious, I would definitely wait until they a) come out with the second gen that will have a better battery life, b) have a better game line-up, and most important for you guys that have the DS, c) solve how they will let you port games over to it. They said they plan to do that last one, but it isn't ready yet.

    ReplyDelete