Monday, January 17, 2011

Video Game Podcast Junkie - What Podcasters need to know from a fan

Yes, I am a gaming podcast junkie. I listen to gaming podcasts all the time. The addiction started before WoW, but WoW took it to a whole new level. Now that I'm out of WoW, I'm trying out a bunch of podcasts to find what to replace my WoW podcasts. Join me after the break to see what I listen to, and what I look for in my gaming podcasts.

When I look for a podcast about gaming, I have listened to enough to know what I like, and what I don't. The podcast industry has matured, and so has the consumer. No longer will we just accept a couple of dudes sitting near a laptop microphone recording their unscripted banter for hours on end. So here's a list of things I find important in a good podcast:
  • Notes - You can always tell if a podcast host prepares notes, because the shows follow a basic format. The standard in gaming seems to be open with what you've been playing, talk about the gaming news, predictions about future gaming related stories, and then they tend to struggle with an ending (more on that later). But podcasts that don't prepare notes are frustrating. They lack a focused conversation, and though sometimes they can offer humor in that manner, generally speaking, it doesn't work out like that.
  • Two people good, Three plus better - the more, the merrier. Conversations flow better with more people because there are more ideas to contribute to the conversation. The important thing, though, is to stay within the focus of the notes, and don't talk over each other. That kind of chemistry is difficult early on in a podcast, but it must be achieved in order to be successful.
  • Audio quality - This should go without saying, but I have listened to a lot of podcasts that haven't made my list of "Subscibe" simply because of the audio quality. If you want to do it, GET GOOD MICROPHONES! This can't be stressed enough. Noise cancellation is a must, therefore, if you're mic doesn't have noise cancellation, get a second mic to record ambiance, then remove that in your editing software. Recording from sound deadening rooms (think bedroom vs dining room...tile reflective sound, carpet absorbs) is also important. I know if you record remotely with others, the standard tends to be to capture their voice with Skype, which when it works, sounds good. The problem is that stream can get interuptted, and that is a problem. Even one of my favorite, most popular podcasts suffers from this, The Instance. If you have questions about how to make good audio quality, read Chapey D's guide (Cagcast). Also, higher bitrates are importantn. File size is not the same issue it was a few years ago.
  • If you're not the host, be a good story teller - Here's what I mean by that. Hosts are responsible for the content flow. The others should be there to offer their wit, reviews, etc., and to get the listener to connect, you need to be detailed in your descriptions. The best stories over the air are the ones where the person is good at using adjectives and adverbs to describe, because we're only using one sense to take in and process the information. So if you know you aren't good at impromptu story telling, prepare ahead of time.

Ok, now you know what I'm looking for. So what fits the bill? Here's a list of the podcasts that I currently listen to and why:

  1. Cagcast - This is the most prefessionally recorded podcast out there, imo. Cheapy D and friends discuss games, primarily console related, as well as some of the great deals to get games out there.
  2. The Instance - WoW podcast. I don't even play WoW anymore, but this podcast stays on. These guys play more than WoW, but focus on it for this show. It is very well done, and they have a great pacing to keep you interested for the whole show. Even if you don't play WoW, you should listen to at least one episode to hear how it should be done. It is a standards-maker.
  3. Bombcast - These guys review games for a living, I believe, and I like them because they sound like they are near my age, and give a mature (and often hilarious) look at the games out there. No genre goes unplayed or reviewed.
  4. Weekend Confirmed - Just a great show. I've only recently gotten into them, but this crew is fun to listen to.

Here is a list of the WoW podcasts I used to listen to that were pretty good, but nothing I was going to continue to listen to now that I'm out of WoW. Worth checking into if you play WoW.

  1. Hunting Party Podcast - If you play a Hunter, this is a must-listen. Great personalities discussing all things Hunting.
  2. Raid Warning - To be hones, I still listen once in a while. They discuss beer, a little WoW, and get drunk during the taping which can lead to some pretty funny moments
  3. All Things Azeroth - I quit listening to this one even while I played, but felt it was worth throwing on here. The host, Medros, just started to grate on my nerves as a whiny guy, and I just couldn't take it anymore, but at one time, when I was learning what I liked in podcasts, this was on the list
  4. WoW Insider - if you are into the lore, this is a good podcast. It's done by some of the writers from wow.joystiq.com
  5. Respec Radio - I think this is the one from the guys at Game Informer, or one of those game websites, but it focuses discussions on all things MMO related. Very informative and comical

Lastly, these are the ones on my playlist that I'm checking out now. They're popular, so we'll see.

  1. AppSlappy - The host is the same guy from The Instance (Scott Johnson), and this one is about iTunes games and apps. I like the work that Scott does enough to give this one a shot.
  2. The Drunk Tank - Made it through one episode so far. Seems pretty good. I don't want to endorse until I listen to a few more though.
  3. IGN Podcast Beyond - IGN is popular, of course, so I'm going to give it a shot
  4. 1up.com - I've heard a lot about this podcast from other podcasts, so I want to give it a try.
  5. Joystiq podcast - Same as 1up, I'll give it a try
  6. Sarcastic gamer - Podcast focused on Playstation. Haven't heard yet.

How about you? What do you listen to and why? What do you look for?

2 comments:

  1. I highly rate ign podcats. I religiously listen to IGN Scoop which is IGNs all system podcast and IGN Beyond is the PS3 only podcast. I gave some time to the other IGN podcasts such as the Nintendo one, 3 Rings of Death (Guess what console that podcast is about :P) as well as few other IGN Podcasts. But the hosts and "synergy" between them in Scoop and Beyond are really high and entertaining to listen to. Also check out knocking boots which was a section of scoops original line up that gave gamers advice on dating and all things relationship wise. It's rather entertaining and worth listening just for the hilarity of it all. It got popular and ended up being it's own podcast.

    Let me know how it all fairs.

    BEYOND!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a while I watched and or listened to Invisible Wall from gametrailers. I kind of stopped because I haven't had the time to sit down and watch/ listen to it. Yeah I can dl'ed it to my iPhone but I much rather listen to good music.

    Add to your list a host that can control the pacing. Some podcasters get on their high horse and start talking for minutes on in and they start to take away from the time that the other casters could give their own opinion. Remember there's no I in podcast children, but an I in iPod. (so corny)

    ReplyDelete