Friday, January 14, 2011

Gameplay vs Story_Other Side

I had to do a new post because my reply was too long!

So the premise is a tough one, because there are other video game dimensions that can be argued to be in this conversation, like graphics, pacing, etc. But for the purposes of this, I'll stick to the premise.

While balance is the key, I would argue that from my perspective, Story is more important. You gave great examples to support how gameplay is what will keep you tuned into a game you might otherwise want to leave. I can use the same games and some additional to explain my perspective.

Take Mass Effect (haven't played the second one yet, but I'm very familiar with it and will have it in my hands today actually). When I first got the game, the reason for my purchase was a Steam sale last year and it was rated with a high metacritic score in the RPG category. That's my favorite genre, so I went for it. Almost immediately, I was pulled in. I love voice acting in games. I want to feel connected to the characters, and the voice acting adds a huge element to that. The gameplay was so-so. The shooting was not very good (ME2 supposedly fixed most of it), but that was not at all what kept me pushing through. I kept playing and playing because I wanted to see how the story ends, as well as all the side mission stories. I find that gameplay amazing.

Fast forward to Starcraft II. I didn't play any of the single player in the first Starcraft, because I was a different kind of gamer back then. I was a lot more hardcore. Now, I like stress-free gaming. I have a enough stress in my life, so games are my escape. I don't want to feel frustrated or angry while I'm gaming. I want to feel like I'm immersed, progressing something, and getting more powerful as I go. So with SC2, I started by playing multi-player with Kinto, who had already beat the games missions. He was patient with me, but I didn't like the gameplay. It just doesn't fit my style of gaming anymore. But recently, I decided to at least give the single player a go because I heard the story was great. Story in an RTS? Usually they are dumb (C&C, Black and White, LOTR, Warcraft I & II), but I'm really digging how they crafted the story in this. The high graphic cinematics are worth grinding through the missions. And oh, btw, I'm playing the missions on casual. That's how little I care for the gameplay.

I just finished Red Dead Redemption. Magic formula was reached: Great story (3 endings it felt like), voice acting, and great graphics. The gameplay could be argued as not that good, and I've heard some podcasters giving it criticism for that. Some didn't care for the horse riding mechanics, and the gunplay could have been better (thank goodness for Dead Eye meter), but I couldn't wait to tear through that story.

Now, here's my perspective on the Wii games that were described. I've never played a Mario Galaxy game. They get great reviews, people rave about them, and they even end up in the conversations for GOTY on many sites, but they just haven't drawn me in. They just haven't hit on my magic formula of great story, great voice acting, and great graphics to win me over the games that come out that have offered that. Bethesda, Bioware, Blizzard, and Rockstar keep taking my money. While I get enjoyment out of just about any game, I measure where I spend my dollars in a fun per hour equation (not literally, but you get the idea). The game needs to keep me engaged for a long time, and a great story is what I have found to be what keeps me. I will look past some, not all, gameplay issues if the story keeps me engaged.

Take a game you would think would fit my criteria (because frankly I though it would too). Last year, I got White Knight Chronicles INSTEAD of FFXIII (same launch day). I played about 20 hours worth. Great graphics, voice acting, ...but the story was lame. It was the same old Japanese "the princess has been kidnapped, you're a humble, awkward teenager who gets some special power (suit in this case), and you and your party go out to get her back". I just couldn't do it again. The game is not bad, it just didn't hit on my main thing, which was story.

So for me, I'll forgive some (not all) gameplay issues if the story is compelling and well told.

But outside of the constraints of this post, the magic of a game that keeps me engaged is all about my mood. Multiplayer online? Give me a shooter, and eff the story. Co-Op on the couch? Tower defense. Give me a great peripheral and I'll rock out or race with you. Variety is the icing on the cake of games.

3 comments:

  1. I just can't justify playing a 40+ hour game anymore when the gameplay is mediocre. Red Dead had a really good story and a good mix of gun play. I almost quit the game because traveling from one side of the map to other on horse took longer than I wanted it to be. Granted you could ride a stagecoach but only if you bought the map of the area you want to go to. If I recall correctly.

    I mean ME's story has to be mind blowing for me to justify 40+ hours of my life. I haven't played any game where I thought the story was better than anything that I've read in a novel.

    Mario Galaxy has the variety, I think you are talking about. It just lacks story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends on the game and what kind of feel the game developer wants for it. I like old school adventure games like Secret of Monkey Island, Broken Sword, etc. as well as some of the DS adventure games that have been released recently. But those are games more based on puzzles then gritty graphics. For me, adventure games have a nice mix of a solid story plus challenging puzzles.

    I think for majority of other games, story should be made to complement the game play. If you have something like Final Fantasy, the world sure be something fantastic that transports your to somewhere, but the game play should revolve more than "press x to kill boss, then move in a straight line to proceed to next area". I think this is why Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my favorite FF's.

    A puzzle game can have a good story if it's done right. Just look at Braid. Not much there. It's all subtle, but all well done.

    In the end, we all play games for a reason. We play them because we want to play, not watch (right?). Although with that said, I can't deny I don't get bored of the scenes from Metal Gear Solid (all of them).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely don't think the question will ever have a "winner", and that is a positive thing. Variety is critical and is what has lead to the success of the industry as a whole.

    BTW, I didn't figure it out until near the end, but if you set a waypoint on your map in RDR, then use a campsite, you can quick travel to your waypoint. Saved a ton of time. But also, I'm one of those gamers who loved riding all over the place.

    And no, I don't think the stories will beat out the stories of a book for the same reason a movie can't tell the story of a book in the same way. They are just different forms of entertainment.

    For most, though, I bet gameplay is more important. Look at minecraft. It looks AWFUL, but millions of people play it. What can I say, I'm a videophile.

    ReplyDelete